Alcohol/Drug Recovery Programs in Naples Florida
The 12-step program from Alcoholics Anonymous is used to develop successful recovery programs. The following principles are used:
- Abstinence from all substances
- Acknowledging there is no self-control over addiction
- Acknowledging addiction is compulsive behavior
- Surrendering to a higher power for restoration to a healthy life
- Listing past transgressions with a sponsor’s help
- Making amends for those transgressions
- Learning to live sober through positive and constructive behaviors
- Committing to help other addicts
Note all these basic tenets focus on the behavior aspect. The most effective recovery programs focus on behavioral modification. These recovery programs pinpoint:
- Acknowledge the negative behaviors.
- Modify the negative behaviors.
- Minimize the significance of emotional and environmental causes of addiction.
To learn more about how care options can help you break free from addiction, contact Drug Treatment Naples today at (239) 687-3421.
Models of Behavioral Treatment in Recovery Programs
There are three highly effective behavioral therapies used in addiction treatment.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): Focuses on behaviorism and thinking. Plans to eliminate negative behaviors and thinking are implemented. Rational thinking isn’t a factor, it is considered unreliable as it has been flawed in the past. External stimuli plays an important role in behavior and can override rational thinking. Specific actions to address problems are developed. Positive and negative reinforcement are used to encourage expected behavior.
- The Motivational Interviewing (MI) Process: MI attempts to motivate an individual to modify behaviors. It works on resolving ambivalent feelings into healthy behaviors and if ambivalent feelings aren’t resolved, they can lead to relapse. MI counselors directly influence individuals to make specific changes to address issues in a collaborative setting. The reasons why destructive behaviors occurred is not a focus of MI.
- The Motivational Incentives Process: MIP first identifies behaviors needing modification. Then, levels of incentives are planned. Goals are set for incentives to be given. Incentives are given to the individual when appropriate behavior is displayed and taken away when negative behaviors are displayed.
Examples of Substance Abuse Treatment Therapy
Biofeedback is a scientific process using machines to measure tension and stress responses. The instruments report immediate feedback about these responses and individuals practice awareness to control these levels. The goal is to be able to manage these responses to a healthy level.
Restorative Yoga is a form of yoga to learn relaxation techniques and improving physical health. Yoga develops balance, tones muscles and improves overall health, both mental and physical.
Principles of Effective Treatment
The website drugabuse.gov lists the following as the Principles of Effective Treatment:
- Addiction is a treatable disease affecting both the brain and behavior.
- No one program fits all.
- Options have to be readily available for everyone.
- Effective care must addresses all co-existing issues of an individual
- Adequate time must be allotted for program.
- Behavioral therapies are an integral part of effective addiction treatment.
- Medication therapy is an integral piece of effective addiction care.
- Treatment plans need constant, ongoing assessment and modifications.
- Any co-existing mental health disorders must be treated simultaneously with
- Medical detoxification cannot stand alone, it needs further attention
- Forcible treatment can still be effective.
- Drug tests must be administered to ensure clients are not secretly using.
- Test individuals for infectious diseases, conduct counseling to reduce risky
Drug rehab facilities are available around the clock. Many have comprehensive treatment plans which include behavioral approaches as an integral component of therapy. Other therapies such as medication, music, acupuncture, equine and art therapies, are available for an effective treatment plan. Custom plans are created based on the needs of you or your loved one. Call Drug Treatment Naples at (239) 687-3421 today to find out how we can help you live a sober and healthy life.